A five-year-old boy died after his neck got caught in a plastic net in the kids’ game zone of a Dombivli (East) highrise complex on Tuesday evening.
Shocked residents of Regency Anantam have demanded a detailed investigation into the death of Saksham Unde, a senior KG student, to find out if there was any negligence.
Local Manpada police have registered an accidental death report and are investigating if there was any negligence in the case.
Saksham was the only child of his parents. His father, Bharat, works from home for a private company while his mother is a homemaker.
Police said on Tuesday Saksham and his mother went to the children’s play area where he entered a separate game zone for children aged three to six.
Gyanoba Suryawanshi, an assistant police inspector investigating the case, told the Sprouts: “As parents are not allowed in the game zone, the child’s mother waited outside. The game zone was being monitored by two caretakers. Suddenly, while playing, Saksham’s neck got caught in a plastic net and within seconds he fell unconscious.”
Lata Argade, a resident of the complex, told Sprouts: “We want the police to probe the case thoroughly for negligence because many children go to play in the game zone.”
The developer of Regency Anantam manages the clubhouse, swimming pool and the children’s play area. Despite several attempts, the developer, Mahesh Agrawal, and his team could not be reached for comment.
It may be recalled that in May 2016, an eight-year-old girl drowned after she managed to evade the attention of her trainers and entered the adult swimming pool at Rosalie housing complex in Kalyan. In May 2018, a six-year-old girl had drowned in a pool in the clubhouse of a Casa Bella apartment in Palava Township in Dombivli. (courtesy: TOI )